Self-care at home

Visit your pharmacy to stock up on over the counter essentials like paracetamol, cough syrup, plasters etc. Your pharmacist will be able to recommend what’s best for your needs. Conditions like coughs and colds, flu or an upset stomach are usually treatable at home – just make sure you rest up and drink plenty of fluids. If you have a small cut or graze, clean the wound under clean running water and stick a plaster on it to help stop infection.

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a free 24 hour helpline. If you’re not sure which service is best to use, talk to trained advisers about your symptoms and they’ll point you in the right direction.

Your local pharmacy

Avoid waiting to see a doctor and take a trip to see your pharmacist instead. They will give you an expert opinion or let you know if you need to go elsewhere.

Plus, they often have private consultation rooms too, if you need privacy.

  • Cold
  • Earache
  • Sore throat
  • Athletes foot
  • Thrush
  • Hay fever
  • Blocked nose
  • Sprain or strain
  • Sexual health advice (including the morning after pill)
  • Hangover
  • Rash/skin complaints

Your pharmacist can provide medical advice and a range of services. To see if they offer the service you need, just give them a call!

Find your nearest pharmacy ›

See pharmacy services

Visit your doctor

If you’re ill and can’t treat yourself at home, make an appointment to see your GP. On the day appointments are usually available for issues that need to be dealt with that day. To avoid waiting, check it’s not something your pharmacist can help you with first.

Register with a GP

For a list of GP practices near you visit To register, pop in or give the surgery a call.

It’s important that you register with a GP in Leeds so you can get an appointment if you get ill. You can still see your GP at home as a temporary resident when you’re back home during uni holidays.

If you want to stay registered with your GP practice at home, you can temporarily register with a GP in Leeds for up to 3 months.

Register with a dentist

To register with a dentist, find a practice at and give them a call to book an appointment. A heads up, you might need to join a waiting list to see a dentist.

If you need emergency dental care, even outside of opening hours, call your dentist – they’ll have emergency contact details on their answer phone. Or call NHS 111 and they’ll tell you what to do.

Walk-in centres

Walk-in centres offer health advice and treatments for a range of illnesses. They also provide traditional GP services for both registered patients and people who aren’t registered with a GP practice.

Shakespeare Medical Practice Walk-in Centre
1 Cromwell Mount
0113 295 1132

Urgent treatment centre/minor injuries unit

Sprains, broken bones, wound infections or sudden illness – these centres can help you if you need urgent medical attention but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

St George’s Urgent Treatment Centre
St George’s Road,
LS10 4UZ
0330 311 5106

Wharfedale Hospital Urgent Treatment Centre
(previously Minor Injuries Unit)
Newall Carr Road,
LS21 2LY
0113 392 1647


Is it an emergency? For anything critical or life-threatening, head straight to A&E or dial 999. This could include:


  • Loss of consciousness
  • Heavy blood loss that cannot be stopped
  • Persistent, severe chest pain
  • Head injuries
  • A suspected stroke or heart attack
  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Suspected broken bones
  • A deep wound, such as a stab wound

Be Smoke Free – One You Leeds

Be Smoke Free – One You Leeds is a free service open to anyone who’s looking to quit smoking.

0800 169 4219

Leeds Sexual health

Your pharmacy can give you advice on sexual health, including information on contraception – but for other issues you might need to speak to a specialist.

Leeds Sexual Health offers screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), HIV testing and contraception services.
0113 3920 333

Forward Leeds

Forward Leeds is an alcohol and drug support service for young people and adults across Leeds. They offer a range of different services including advice, support and interventions for young people who are concerned about their alcohol and/or drug use.
0113 887 2477